The recently published Climate Change Bill lacks the ambition and action needed for Scotland to play our part in tackling climate change. The Scottish Government claims that they’ll be one of the first countries to achieve net zero emissions, but the Bill doesn’t commit to that.
Please take action today by asking your MSPs to push for changes to the Bill as it makes its way through Parliament.
Together, we can create an Act that ends Scotland’s contribution to climate change within a generation
We’re asking MSPs to support the following in the Bill:
1. Stronger targets that will deliver Scotland’s fair share of the Paris Agreement:
- Net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 at the latest
- Emissions reduction of 77% (on 1990 levels) by 2030
2. Measures to ensure that future finance budgets are consistent with our climate targets
3. New policies to cut emissions from buildings and agriculture as soon as possible within the next 10 years:
- Ensure all homes have at least Energy Performance Certificate rating ‘C’ by 2025, to cut emissions, tackle fuel poverty and create jobs across Scotland.
- Create a Nitrogen Balance Sheet for Scotland with nitrogen reduction targets introduced by 2020 - reducing climate pollution from nitrogen based fertilisers.